Have you ever found some random stranger charming and wondered whether you had a connection with them? Have you been in a situation where you were too intimidated to interact with them at the time and wished you had a second chance? Sites and ads called "missed connections" are now becoming more and more popular as a new form of online dating. These sites are designed for the main purpose of "reconnecting." These sites are created by ordinary people in response to everyday occurrences, specifically, meeting someone and for whatever reason not connecting with them and then later regretting it and seeking a second chance with that person. Some newspapers contain these ads as well as craigslist. A recent site that was just created around Valentines Day is "WeMetOnAPlane". This site is designed specifically for individuals who were charmed by some passenger on their flight and missed the opportunity to connect with them. Recent research showed that over 4,000 people were searching daily for someone that they had met on a plane. Other examples of these sites include but are not limited to: Transportation systems such as subways and trains; Concerts; And even restaurants such as Applebees. These sites allow people to search for others based on information such as license plate numbers, flight seat numbers, and other data.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/30/we-met-on-a-plane_n_1241730.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/14/online-dating-wemetonapla_n_1276888.html
This is incredible! I had no idea something like this existed.
ReplyDeleteDo people post on these websites hoping that the person they are trying to find reads it and contacts them?
Great and interesting article!
From what I understand that is exactly what they do. These missed connection ads have been in existence for a long time originating as fliers and newspaper ads in less populated towns, but have grown tremendously due to the internet. There are many articles online that share experiences and instances of this being effective that are very interesting. It's incredible how this sort of thing actually works and how technology is changing the world we live in.
DeleteThis is amazing that the world has come to this type of internet usage. Many people think that if you're truly meant to be with someone, no matter how it ends, you will be reunited with that person. That philosophy is no longer just wishful thinking, it is now real. I've met a lot of people that after our conversation I wished I would have gotten their contact information... now all I have to do is sign into my "WeMetOnAPlane" account.
ReplyDeleteOkay, though the thought of this is pretty cool in some ways it's just as weird in others. Here you said "These sites allow people to search for others based on information such as license plate numbers, flight seat numbers, and other data." What if only one of the two people felt that way? Then does that make the one getting my license plate number just a creeper? My kindness to people has been misinterpreted on many occasions by woman thinking it was more and if I had someone random trying to find me I would see it as weird. I understand people get shy and miss chances, I do the same, but I'd rather if people are wanting to get in contact with me because they felt a connection I would hope they at least managed to get my name, then could easily message on Facebook instead of writing down my liscense plate. Plus who is going to go post on this website everytime they go anywhere that they were eating here, working out there, riding this specific plane in this specific seat etc.... Or if that information is readily available from some other source again it puts me in a rather uncomfortable position.
ReplyDeleteI am not a hopeless romantic so I find this hilarious more than anything else. What ever happened to that saying, "there are plenty of fish in the sea"? If you do not have the confidence to get that person's number that you "connected" with then you do not deserve to be with them. Now you know for next time to be more confident but for that "missed connection" I would say, move on. But these sites are not completely useless!- they ARE good for a laugh. ;)
ReplyDeleteActually this is my first time to know these kinds of websites. It is incredibe and so cool! I think these websites may be helpful for someone. I can't believe that over 4,000 people looked for someone who that they met on a plane every day. I just want to say technology is an amazing thing to satisfy people's needs. But if a stranger search my driver license plate number or flight seat number to get my personal information and contact to me. Then I probably feel so wired.
ReplyDelete