Online dating sites are taking a twist that actually may result in longer lasting relationships and more chemistry between users. Rather than making suggestions to users based on what the user included in his or her profile, these sites are now using algorithms to track your every move and make better suggestions through your browsing history. For example, say a man states in his profile that he prefers "blondes" but he clicks on more profiles of "brunettes." The site will keep track of that and make more suggestions that are "brunettes." Studies have showed that what users say they want and what they actually want are quite different on several occasions. The more time you spend on the site the more accurate the algorithm begins to predict the right matches for you. It takes three main aspects into account when setting up matches: personality; preferences; and behavior on the site. The whole idea behind this new idea is to lead to more successful and longer lasting relationships and so far it has been a success.
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2012/03/14/online-dating-algorithm-adding-up-to-love/
I can see this being a positive idea but it all depends on what it is being compared to. For example it is being compared to online dating as a whole. I would like to see this algorithm compared to other dating algorithms instead of online dating as a whole before it is given credit. On a side note when I read the title the first thing I thought of was the Online Dating algorithm episode(s) on How I Met Your Mother.
ReplyDeleteThat was a great episode of How I Met Your Mother.
DeleteWow, this new method for making matches sounds like it would be very accurate. It really accounts for the fact that people are sometimes a little untruthful in their responses, which may or may not be intentional. I know sometimes people think of their dream mate when in reality they go for something totally different. This could be both a perk and drawback to this new method of match making. I feel as though the site should still weigh the responses the person types just as much as those that they gather from analyzing the person’s activity on the website. If the dating site wishes to use the information they gather it should be used to supplement the answers provided by the user in the survey.
ReplyDeleteIn some ways I view this as a good thing and in other ways a bad thing. For example, someone may have certain qualities they desire in a person but then search for someone with different qualities. It seems like it would generate too many results by using personality, behavior, and preferences to match someone up.
ReplyDelete